Friday, July 31, 2009

Calling all crystal expertise & gemologist?

I've always obsessed with crystal. I like to have them in raw/already cut design and now I have so many collection of bracelet, pendants and necklace of them.


Last few day I was offered to buy light bluish green kunzite from this crystal shop I always went to. Actually he just received kunzite crystal stock that day (most of them are pendant and pink/lilac color), and he havent put the tag price on them yet.





Since I'm the regular customer to him, he said he will give special price of that kunzite to me which means lower than actual price.





Should I buy that kunzite? I like it coz it' really lovely, and I can feel the energy through my hand when I hold it. But since I read in crystal book and also seek some information about Kunzite, I found only pink, lilac, violet, green and yellow are showed. I havent found the light blue kunzite on any website.





Is dat really kunzite with aquamarine tone color (the blue color is more obvious)? Or is it hiddenite?

Calling all crystal expertise %26amp; gemologist?
Fallenangel,





Both kunzite and hiddenite are gem varieties of the same lithium aluminosilicate mineral called "spodumene". Each of them contain different impurities that cause them to be different colors... kunzite is always a pink, violet, or lilac color, and hiddenite is a light green to bluish green. The distinction between the two is based on color. So if this crystal has the same shape and crystal faces as the other kunzites, then it is definitely a spodumene. But if it is bluish green in color, then by definition it is hiddenite and NOT kunzite.





However, this doesn't mean that the crystal is unvaluable, and doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it. It's still a gem variety of spodumene... it probably just found its way into the wrong drawer when your store owner friend sorted through his new material. Hiddenite is a lovely gemstone as well, and if it were me, I would definitely get it! But of course, I tend to like a lot of minerals... : )





PS.





Revue is right... there's no doubt that this crystal is hiddenite, and hiddenite is far less common than kunzite. It sounds like this piece would be a great buy! Hiddenite only comes from three places in the world: The classic, light green hiddenites come from North Carolina. The bluish hiddenite that you are looking at probably comes from either Brazil or Madagascar. It's also true that you will likely see somewhat different colors if you look at the crystal from different angles... this is called "pleochroism". It makes a nice addition to any mineral or jewelry collection... my suggestion is go for it!
Reply:Hiddenite. They were given different names because they have different colors. That's all.





(I hope that its being a hiddenite does not discourage you from buying it. They have the same crystal structure and composition; they're practically the same mineral! You can say that "hiddenite's a green kunzite", or "kunzite's a pink hiddenite", or even "hiddenite's a green gem-grade variety of spodumene, a mineral whose pink variety is called kunzite". [whew!] Anyways, what's important is how the gem makes you feel, yeah?)





P.S.


Hiddenite is far less common. Plus it's not a shade of minty green or very pale teal you'll find in any other gem. Plus plus! it *probably* changes color as you rotate it (This property is very important in identifying hiddenite).





And don't worry if it appears more bluish than green; the rarest of hiddenites is actually light blue, not green. If I were you, I'd soooo get the hiddenite.



skins.be blog

No comments:

Post a Comment