Sunday, April 19, 2009

How to preserve fresh picked lilacs?

I have a lot of lilacs and in the past when I%26#039;ve picked a bunch some wilt right away and some don%26#039;t, what do I need to do, I%26#039;ve tried warm water, cold water and nothing seems to help. My lilacs are getting ready to bloom and I hope I can get some help with this.

How to preserve fresh picked lilacs?
They really don%26#039;t last as long as I%26#039;d like, either, but there are some things you can do to help. Cut the stems diagonally, this helps them to absorb more water. Add an aspirin or a little lemon-lime soda to the vase water. Keep the bouquet out of direct sunlight and heat. Change the water after a couple of days (recut the stems and add another aspirin). Hope this helps--my lilacs are already done blooming here in CA. (sigh) Enjoy yours!
Reply:Pick them right as they are opening - the difference is usually how long the blooms have already been open when you cut the stem - they only last a short time, so cutting them right as they are about to open or immediately afterwards will give you the longest shelf life. I normally let the end of the stem set a few minutes, then put it in luke-warm water. But I think it may not matter much - they are simply short-lived, so pick them early in their %26quot;life%26quot; and they will last longer.



makeup tips

No comments:

Post a Comment