Sunday, April 19, 2009

When and How to transplant lilacs?

When can I transplant lilac sprouts in my yard to another area? Spring, Summer, Fall? any special tips to make them thrive?

When and How to transplant lilacs?
I%26#039;ve done my transplants right after they stop blooming. I think it%26#039;s good to get the new transplants in the ground and get established before winter sets in.





You will want to get as much root as possible on the new transplant. The root actually runs horizontally to the parent bush. So, I take my shovel and get it loosened up under the new plant being careful not to sever the root between the new transplant and parent plant. Once it%26#039;s loosened up, I can grab the new transplant at the base and pull gently and you%26#039;ll see the root leading to the parent. I get as close as I can to the parent and then sever the root. I usually have a minimum of 6 inches of root, I like to have more.





Take it to your new spot and plant at the same depth it was growing.... the root can be planted straight instead of horizontal but I just hold it over the new hole and whichever way that root wants to lay, I let it. Cover it with dirt and water it well for a few weeks to get established. I like to jump start my new bushes so I plant at least six or so new transplants together in the same hole so it becomes a new %26quot;bush%26quot; quicker instead of a single plant.





Give it lots of water and some fertilizer and it%26#039;ll be there growing next spring.





Good luck!
Reply:If your lilacs bloom twice a season after the last bloom. Usually in the early fall. That is when I have had the best luck.



super nanny

No comments:

Post a Comment